The Rubaiyat: Quatrain XXIX


Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing,
And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing.

This is the twenty-ninth quatrain of the Fitzgerald's Rubaiyat. The use of wind and water is reminiscent of the previous quatrain where poet says life is like wind and water, without form and direction. In this quatrain Khayyam says we came into this world not knowing the purpose and not knowing where did we come from. It is like water that rains or flows over which we have no control. Such is the essence of life whether we like it or not. My coming to this world does not happen on my accord. And we leave this world not knowing where we will be going to. We leave like wind blowing not knowing where it will blow and having no control over it whether one like it or not. I had no choice if I wanted to be bought up in this world nor do I have one when I leave this world. The theme of this quatrain is similarly expressed by Zauq in this famous work - layi hayaat aaye qaaza la chali chale

existence bought me and I came, death took me away and I went.
I neither came on my own will, nor did I go off  my own accord. 

No comments:

Post a Comment