The Rubaiyat: Quatrain XL


You know, my Friends, how long since in my House

For a new Marriage I did make Carouse:
Divorced old barren Reason from my Bed,
And took the daughter of the Vine to Spouse.

This is the fortieth quatrain of the FitzGerald's Rubaiyat. The poet addressing to his friends, says that it's been long that I had a new marriage. I am disclosing out the details to you all today. For the marriage ceremony, we had a loud and boisterous carouse (basically a drunken revelry). I in this new marriage has taken the daughter of the grape vine as my new wife and I have divorced the old and barren reasoning and logic from my bed. I sleep every night not with the reasoning of my actions, but with the realization of the day well spent! The motive of the lines is same as the last quatrains. Too much time has been lost in reasoning and sound judgement as it is taking us nowhere. Instead he has taken wine as his new wife and engaged in living in more earthly delights and pleasure of the senses. All the logic and reasoning will tire you out and the teaching of the learned and wise would just lead you confused and still with no clear answers. Flow with the flow and it may lead you somewhere unexpected but be glad of the joys of the journey you had. Think too hard and reason too much, you still will end up where possibly you had not expected and for sure did not enjoy the journey either!

No comments:

Post a Comment